 Robotics / 23189
Re: Replacement Firmware Released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:51:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that variable strength braking is in fact the
implementation in the standard firmware. Braking is proportional to the
current setting of the power level. I think there may even be some
ancient posts somewhere in Lugnet on this topic.

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message
1) braking seems to be proportional to power (at power=0, brake is
not very effective) -- Lego
firmware appears to brake at full power no matter what the power
setting is.  My guess is that the
'brake' function (shorting out the motor) is only being effected
during the 'on' phase of the PWM
routines.

Agreed. Beeing able to control break strength is an interesting
feature, but it
is incompatible with standard firmware. Maybe it should be controlled
by a
variable similar to bFloatDuringInactiveMotorPWM

Agreed. For practical reasons, Ultimate Robolab implements the variable brake
mode too.