 Robotics / 23180
Re: Replacement Firmware Released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:06:36 GMT

I too am impressed with the amount of work that went into this release.  After a few days playing
around with it, I have a few comments:

1) braking seems to be proportional to power (at power=0, brake is not very effective) -- Lego
firmware appears to brake at full power no matter what the power setting is.  My guess is that the
'brake' function (shorting out the motor) is only being effected during the 'on' phase of the PWM
routines.

I have been able to work around this problem by immediately setting power to 7 after turning off a
motor.

2) possible bug.  The following code snippet is expected to vibrate the motor left and right.
Lego firmware behaves as intended; the new firmware seems to turn the motor predominantly in the
forward direction.

  for(i=0; i<40; i++):
    SetDirection(OUT_A, OUT_FWD)
    OnFor(OUT_A, 3)
    SetDirection(OUT_A, OUT_REV)
    OnFor(OUT_A, 3)

Hopefully these observations will be helpful.

-dbm

--- Mario Ferrari <mario.ferrari@edis.it> wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:
First "official" version of Mindstorm replacement firmware can now be
downloaded from www.drjsoftware.com and follow the links on the page.

Basic firmware file is there for downloading. More documentation coming
over the next few days.

Dick,
congrats for the incredible job, a real paradigm-shift for most mindstorms
programmers.

Mario