 Robotics / 23138
  Replacement Firmware Released

First "official" version of Mindstorm replacement firmware can now be downloaded from www.drjsoftware.com and follow the links on the page. Basic firmware file is there for downloading. More documentation coming over the next few days. (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Hello Dick, Congratulation for this new release! Just to make things clear: it seems that this version doesn't include (optional) 32 bits/floating poins support? Philo (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:I8II4B.13Io@lugnet.com... (...) (optional) (...) hi philo i found this sentence "Floating point variables New opcodes and intrinsic variables have been added to firmware to support 32-bit (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) The free version of Dick Swan's firmware does not include support for 32-bit float variables or long integers. From the Quick Start Guide: "The firmware distributed is the 10 times faster version. It does not include support for floats and (...) (20 years ago, 10-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I am a Robolab user. I followed instructions replacing firmware.txt with the replacement file as instructed. The download went smoothly,immediately upon finishing (two beeps) the LCD screen started counting in M.SS.S. format indicating a (...) (20 years ago, 11-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) hello Dick, it really looks great. What I was wondering, what do you've in mind for licensing ? Is it freeware, or is it only freeware during beta-test ? thanks Stef Mientki (20 years ago, 12-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Congrats again on the significant 'smart stuff'! Your feedback on the sensor bugs did the fix at the right time too. This firmware obsoletes a lot of Robolab and other RCX approaches, and analog interfacing ... What am I talking about? Motors (...) (20 years ago, 12-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Dick, congrats for the incredible job, a real paradigm-shift for most mindstorms programmers. Mario (20 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I too am impressed with the amount of work that went into this release. After a few days playing around with it, I have a few comments: 1) braking seems to be proportional to power (at power=0, brake is not very effective) -- Lego firmware appears (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I did exactly the same thing today, and found I needed a figure of about twenty to acheive reliable back and forth motion. I think it may be something to do with the fact that the rcx firmware(s) will not let you switch motor direction (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Agreed. Beeing able to control break strength is an interesting feature, but it is incompatible with standard firmware. Maybe it should be controlled by a variable similar to bFloatDuringInactiveMotorPWM (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Indeed, it vibrates fine if you set nMotorTransitionDelay = 0 Philo (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

Hi Dan, (...) that is strange, are you sure? (...) That is what the ROM routines do, and firmwares like Lejos that rely on it. I would have thought the standard firmware does it in the same way. Jürgen (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

The behavior you've experienced is expected. Standard Lego firmware implements a 100 msec delay when you directly "flip" or change powered motor direction. I expect it is a bug (rather than design intent) that if you go through the stage (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I'm pretty sure that variable strength braking is in fact the implementation in the standard firmware. Braking is proportional to the current setting of the power level. I think there may even be some ancient posts somewhere in Lugnet on this topic. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I don't think this is a bug in the original firmware, but rather a protection against burning electronics parts in the RCX or dammaging motors flipping the motor directions too rapidly. Motors present some interesting electronics behaviour due (...) (20 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Agreed. For practical reasons, Ultimate Robolab implements the variable brake mode too. (20 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I can say with assurance that the firmware that shipped with my RIS 2.0 does indeed brake fully no matter what the power. I started looking into this precisely because the new firmware behaves differently. If that's a feature and not a bug, fine -- (...) (20 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

"dan miller" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:20041224140135....hoo.com... (...) You're absolutely right. It's a bug. I feel so stupid. I will fix in the next firmware release. I will simply remove the variable braking option. The (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I think if you we're stupid that would make the rest of us amoeba! (...) Don't do that, I was planning on using it. I'm building a test rig where I will be using a non-geared motor (As a generator) to impose a variable loads. (...) If it's (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

--- Dick Swan <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote: "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message (...) I assume you mean kSystemMotorTransition. I'm having trouble figuring out how to access these new variables. There is mention of a file (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I would have to agree - variable braking is one of the things I really like about the new firmware, for motor control. That and speeeeed (note: I've yet to download & *test* the dang thing, but I really really really like the ideas). (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) With new timer resolution and fine motor power control, will RCX control SERVO MOTORS with precision? I tried to learn PBforth, but I prefer NQC. It would be great! (20 years ago, 26-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Servo Motor Control

"danny" <daniele_benedettelli@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:I9BszE.1KF0@lugnet.com... (...) No. It doesn't appear that it will be possible to directly control a servo. Servos are controlled by a single variable width pulse repetitively sent about (...) (20 years ago, 27-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Servo Motor Control

(...) Dick, I am very eager to see this! For a long time, I've been trying to do exactly this with limited success. Can you elaborate a bit on what you did code-wise to achieve this? Iain (20 years ago, 29-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)