 Robotics / 23132
Re: Why NQC over Robolab?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:10:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Johnson wrote:
Another
option is "Robolab for LabVIEW" found here:

<http://www.lego.com/eng/education/mindstorms/home.asp?menu=download&pagename=download>

This is a "free" way to get the full version Robolab but it requires you own
the student edition of LabVIEW....

Here's a link to the "Robolab for LavVIEW" that Tom was talking about:

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/college/robolabforlabview/RLforLabview2521.zip

This is a ~50 MB download.

This is version 2.5.2.  You can download the patch (4 MB) to 2.5.3 here:

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/Resources/Service_Pack/Service_Pack12-1.llb

The tufts.edu site says that "Robolab for LabVIEW" has only been tested with
version 6 of the student edition of LabVIEW.

I had a hard time finding a place to get version 6, but you can get the student
edition of LabView 7 from Amazon.com for $54.90 here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131239260/qid=1102617235/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-3777881-9348043?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You can buy Robolab 2.5.4 from LEGO for $69 here:

http://www.legoeducationstore.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=8535&secid=9&linkon=subsection&linkid=45

If you are really only interested in Robolab it's cheaper to just get it
directly from LEGO.

Robolab reportedly has a number of problems with features that don't quite work
reliably (http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/robolab/?n=294,
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/robolab/?n=297)

Robolab can actually run programs on the host PC (for the Control Lab
interface).  You can't do that with NQC.

It is conceivable that a Control Lab target could be added to NQC which would
let you compile an NQC program into a JavaScript that would use a COM automation
object to talk to the Control Lab.  I'm mildly interested in investigating such
a scheme.  Alternatively, an IDE like BricxCC could be modified to have a
separate Control Lab feature of some sort.  I'm not sure how many people are
interested in such a thing.

John Hansen