 Robotics / 2255
Re: Ideas for a Science Fair Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:36:57 GMT

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, dave madden wrote:

=>From: GK Khalsa <khalsa@objectrad.com>
=>...
=>My son's science fair is coming up, and was wondering if there
=>might be any suggestions for a project using Mindstorms?

I don't know what a 7-year-old is like, but (at 35:-) I'm working on a
tic-tac-toe playing robot... •   <snippage>
...And I'm sure a 7-year-old can play a good game
of tic-tac-toe...

Little doubt of that!  For the past few years I've done annual robotics
demonstrations at my son's school Science Fairs with my HERO 1 and HERO
2000 robots.  (added a MindStorms 'bot to the family this year - keep it
on topic, eh?)

The '2000 plays Tic-Tac-Toe with all comers.  Its programmed to play at
different levels of skill so as not to scare off younger players.  You
should see the look on the face of a 6-7 year old when they manage to
beat the robot in a game!

Only got my MindStorms set a few days before the last Science Fair, to was
not able to get anything too complex together.  Tossed together a line
follower 'bot, and provided large sheets of paper for the kids to draw
paths for the robot to follow.

Think I'm starting to tick off some of the other local groups that provide
demos at the Fair...  The robots usually manage to draw the largest
crowds!

-jim
---
jimw@agora.rdrop.com