 Robotics / 22507
Re: RIS Kit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 04:51:00 GMT

FWIW, That lot of extras is worth $50, and the remote
does come in handy, very handy to debug hardware
before writing software for it. I have done both:
write small routines to test motoroized motions, and
used the remote. The remote stop button is invaluable
in many cases!!

I don't know what the capacitor would be for. It seems
to have been sold with only one set, and that seems to
be an educational kit with solar cells, where the cap
is used to store energy to run a motor???? It lists
for 20+ dollars as well.

One other thing you might find handy is the 6-AA cell
battery box. My robot, as of this writing, has well
outstripped the RIS 2.0 system. It is using two RCX, 9
gear motors, 5 touch sensors, 3 light sensors, and a
plethora of parts I managed to get buying odd lots off
of eBay and other places, including two Hitec
micro-servos.

If you are wondering, its 4-wheel drive, wheighs about
5lbs, and will run reasonably smoothly with as much as
50 AA cells worth of weight on it. It is 28 in long,
15 in. high, and 10 in. wide. I have managed to
implement some complex mechanical systems on it, and
am rather pleased with the results of Lego so far.
This includes a 5.5 inch wide gripper on the front,
and a 3 DOM, soon to be 5 DOM arm/gripper. The design
is to be able to pick up a softball with it. That has
caused redesign many times to add strength etc. The
extra parts that I have purchased have helped greatly
in being able to do and build what I want on my robot.

Good luck with your Lego adventures.

--- Perry Lessing <perrylessing@hotmail.com> wrote:
I am shopping around for a Lego robot kit and I'd
like a bit of advice.

Several websites have #3804 Robotics Invention
System 2.0 for about $180.

The main Lego site sells a kit (#9916) including the
following goodies for
$230.

#3804 Robotics Invention System 2.0
#9738 Remote Control
#4176779 9-volt Motor
#9916 Capacitor
#10049 Large Wheels and Axles
#10072 Beams
#10074 Cross Axles
#10076 Gear Wheels

Are these extra bits worth the extra $50?
--
Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics