 Robotics / 22505
Re: RIS Kit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 02:00:21 GMT

Perry, I've been thinking thinking the same question myself, though I was
unaware that the RIS could be got for $180.
To a certain degree it depends on whether the individual goodies are of any
use to you.
I feel that the extra "bricks" that the last for items contain are something
of great value, espically to a starter like me. As well as the motor, the
specs for my first project calls for 4 motors!
I don't know what value to place on the Capacitor as I don't see what it
brings to the table.
Also I don't place a great value on the Remote, though I can see myself
using it while build to test the behavour of the hardware before writting
the software.

$ wise I think it is worth is also, the remote sells for $20 and a motor I
believe is similar.
I think I priced the last three packages at $10 to $12 a piece.
I don't know what the capicator sells for, nor the large wheels & axles
package, but as you can see I've gone well past $50 already.

As a returner to Lego, and not having any in the basement to work wih, I'm
be spending the extra $50.

I am shopping around for a Lego robot kit and I'd like a bit of advice.

Several websites have #3804 Robotics Invention System 2.0 for about $180.

The main Lego site sells a kit (#9916) including the following goodies for
$230.

#3804 Robotics Invention System 2.0
#9738 Remote Control
#4176779 9-volt Motor
#9916 Capacitor
#10049 Large Wheels and Axles
#10072 Beams
#10074 Cross Axles
#10076 Gear Wheels

Are these extra bits worth the extra $50?