 Robotics / 22317
Re: Ultrasonic sensors - comparison & performance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:45:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ismael Salvador wrote:
Hi, I own the 24Khz from Mindsensors. I have not played with it a lot, mainly
because I cannot get useful behavoiur. The device works nearly as a binary
detector, object present in xxx meter or no object. Minimum distance is around
30 and max about 1.5 m or so. (Speaking from the memory, I cannot find my notes
with real measures). It cannot be used to measure distances and its behaviour is
far away from a linear system.
In the RCX side the sensor has to be configured as a light sensor, and doesn't
need charge time.

Most of my results from the HiTechnic sensor were the opposite of this.

I find it to be very useful, so I use it all the time.  The readings seem to
show a good, linear output based on the distance.  (even though I usually use it
as a binary detector)

The ranges are close to the same.  Min 6" (at that point, the reading is pegged,
and remains that way as an object gets closer than 6") to max ~4'.

This is a pretty large sensor, and at $80, it's not cheap.  But, I think it's
worth it.

Steve