 Robotics / 22315
Re: Ultrasonic sensors - comparison & performance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
   I've been looking at ultrasonic sensors for the RCX - two seem currently
availible, the 24 kHz one from Mindsensors, and the 40 kHz one from HiTechnic.
What experience do people have with these, specificly? I suspect they wouldn't
interfere with each other, but I'm unsure of how well they will detect different
size targets. Anybody have personal stories? What is the refresh rate on either
sensors (3 ms? 30 ms? more?). What is the minimum size (I'm assuming angular
here) detectable (ie - does the frequency make a difference? Is it something
else)? How stable are the readings (variation with a fixed target at fixed
distance? What happens when you tilt/rotate the target)?
   Anybody have advice here? Testimonials?

I have no personla experiance of any ultrasonic range sensors (still waiting for
my sensor from HiTechnic). But I found this extensive test of the HiTechic
sensor.

http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/tld/courses/cs148/02/sonar.html

/Henrik