 Robotics / 2230
Re: Multiple Stack Controllers in Program???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 03:43:57 GMT

Mike Schumann wrote:

I am having tremendous difficulty getting Mindstorms to let me put more than
1 stack controller in the program.  I have been trying to put a check block
in a repeat block without success.  It also won't let me but a check block
after a repeat block.

Is this a limitation in the RCX code.  (Note:  Don't tell me to switch to
using VB since I am trying to figure out how to make this work with my 9
year old).

You know, the RIS is recommended for ages 12 and up.  But that's water under the
bridge now.  I'm afraid that this appears to be a limitation in the Mindstorms
development kit included with the RIS.

To my knowledge, there is no system for programming the RCX that is completely
flexible, while still being as easy to use as what came with the Mindstorms
RIS.  If you are merely adverse to using a full blown development environment
like VB for a child's toy, I might suggest looking at the RCX Command Centre
(http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/lego/).  This relatively small system (The
download is only about a quarter meg or so) uses the NQCC (Not Quite C Compiler)
to program the RCX in a language that resembles C.  It's nowhere near as easy to
use as the graphical user interface that the development kit included with the
Robotics Invention System provides, but it does allow you to declare variables,
nest loops, and other things that are par for the course in a programming
language.  If you do not think that your 9 year old is ready for programming in
anything resembling a real programming language, you may be outta luck, for the
time being.

Sorry I can't be the bearer of better news.

Mark