 Robotics / 2307
Re: Multiple Stack Controllers in Program???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 01:55:51 GMT

Mike Schumann wrote:

I am trying to design an RCX robot to follow a black line with a single
light sensor.  My strategy is to move forward when the sensor is dark.  When
the sensor is light, I want to turn right until the sensor goes dark, or for
1 second, whichever comes first.  If the turn timed out, I want to turn left
for up to 2 seconds (asuming the line turned in the other direction).

I am having tremendous difficulty getting Mindstorms to let me put more than
1 stack controller in the program.  I have been trying to put a check block
in a repeat block without success.  It also won't let me but a check block
after a repeat block.

Is this a limitation in the RCX code?  (Note:  Don't tell me to switch to
using VB since I am trying to figure out how to make this work with my 9
year old).

You can buy the Robolab software from Lego Dacta for $25, plus
another $25 for the Getting Started manual.  Its language is
graphical like the Mindstorms language.  It is slightly more complex
for very young kids because:
(1) The command icons are not jigsaw pieces, but are squares that
must be connected by stringing lines between them.
(2) Some parameters, like motor speed and light sensor threshold, are
established by connecting a number icon to the command icon, instead
of the parameter being built into the command icon as in Mindstorms.

Unlike Mindstorms, Robolab allows you to define multiple tasks that
execute simultaneously and independently.  However, Robolab is not
interrupt-driven like Mindstorms.  You need to repeatedly test the
light sensor in a loop.

According to my local Lego Dacta sales rep, Robolab originally was
written for classroom use by 11 year olds, so it might be a bit
challenging for a 9 year old, but he/she should do fine with your
help.  I hope you start your 9 year old on some simpler programs
before trying the black line tracking program.

If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader, I can send you off-list a
screenshot of a Robolab light tracking program so you can see what it
looks like.

Bob Stern