 Robotics / 22297
Re: SOLICITATION FOR INVESTMENT ASSISTANCE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:17:39 GMT

To lego-robotics list manager, and members,

I was wondering if these (probably fraudulent) proposals are coming from new
members who just sign up just for the purpose of broadcasting these? Or is
there a history from a single person?

(Proposals like this are a regular feature of internet spam, in which the
objective can in many instances be traping someone into giving out bank
routing information for purposes of identity theft.)

Obviously there is a problem if each case it is a new person who signs up,
as there is no history on which to base banning the individual. One might
want a policy in this regard.

I do believe that one has to be a list member in order to get one's mail
entered into the list, and that it will be rejected if one is not a list
member. Therefore the sender must have become a list member. Would there be
any usefulness if the list owner were to forward these requests (and e-mail
tracking information) to the FBI, and other government agencies? Letting
each occurence have an immediate response that the information was
immediately forwarded to investigative bodies might discourage their trying
to sign up with new names each time to repeat the event.

Thanks
Gordon Elliott