 Robotics / 22128
22127  |  22129
Subject:
Lego & BHC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:26:40 GMT

Hi,

As part of my work within the framework of Hangar 18 I'm working on some
projects related to "Blind and Haptic Computing", in particular we're
looking at blind developers of Lego Mindstorms and what they need. As part
of that I realize that we need a mechanism to describe Lego robots
non-visually so that two different visually impaired developers build the
same bot from the same description. This must be compatible with useage
on/by a computer.

Anybody know of any standards or work in describing mechanisms with the
epxress intent of aiding blind developers (I'm thinking of mechanical
goals here and not traditional computing work)? Anybody done any work with
traditional Lego models and the non-visual community? Every heard of a
blind mechanical engineer?

I'm utterly ignorant in this field and trying to get a toe hold.

Thanks.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com