 Robotics / 21331
Re: JCX and Legos to appear in Denmark next week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:24:57 GMT

"Rob Hendrix" <rhendrix.removebeforesending@cei.net> wrote:
[snip]
Basically what i am saying is, if you are going to offer more powerful
product for the Lego community (partly of which do not know Java
programming) to use in lieu of an RIS, then you will probably need to supply
enough pieces in a starter kit to provide an "out of the box" experience.

If it's aimed at the Lego community they're likely to have some bricks
already. I don't think it's ever been pitched as being "in lieu" of
and RIS. It's a programmable brick which is compatible with Lego
components, not an RIS replacement. People who want to build something
from the instructions can buy an RIS. They're the same kind of people
who build the model that's on the box and leave it on a shelf. People
who've outgrown RIS and want more processing power and expanability
can buy a JCX.

I use Lego because it's an easy way to build the mechanicals of the
robots I want to build, not out of any great love of Lego or the
models they provide. It's all just pieces to me.

[snip]
If your product only replaces the RCX for
that price then I wish you the best of luck in future adventures because
this one is priced too high for the common market.  Handiboards are cheaper.

Handiboards also have far less processing power and expansion
potential.

Tim