 Robotics / 21328
Re: JCX and Legos to appear in Denmark next week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:20:21 GMT

So Bruce,

How much is a JIS (JCX Invention System) going to cost?

Here is my definition of a JIS:
It would include the JCX, cable to download firmware/programs, software and
documentation, 2 motors, 3 sensors, enough parts to suffiently build a
working robot using most or all included building components with a
construction booklet for 2-4 models, and an easy to understand tutorial on
how to program in Java.

Basically what i am saying is, if you are going to offer more powerful
product for the Lego community (partly of which do not know Java
programming) to use in lieu of an RIS, then you will probably need to supply
enough pieces in a starter kit to provide an "out of the box" experience.

For $500 US, I would hope your product is more than a main controller with a
couple off included "add-on" boards.  Especially since it is not neatly
wrapped in a Lego style shell.  If your product only replaces the RCX for
that price then I wish you the best of luck in future adventures because
this one is priced too high for the common market.  Handiboards are cheaper.

Rob