 Robotics / 21326
21325  |  21327
Subject:
JCX and Legos to appear in Denmark next week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:00:06 GMT

The very first production units of JCX (http://jcx.systronix.com/) will be
displayed and demonstrated next week in Aarhus, Denmark, at this
conference: http://www.jaoo.dk/ so if any of you are in the area it would
be fun to meet.

We will be showing the JCX sensor and motor boards, JSimm.JStamp and JStik
brain boards, JSimm.DIO digital I/O board, and long-range (1 km) RF
peer-to-peer modems. We may also have a metal link robot arm using 6 R/C
servos and CMUcam for autonomous machine vision. All these systems will be
communicating over RF with XML data, and all will be running realtime
native-execution Java.

Yes, this implies that JCX is inching closer to commercial availability (at
a pace that feels glacial to me). The first JCX commercial systems are
going to some select partners/developers, and to this class at the
University of Utah: http://www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs4710/. We expect to
have a handful of this first run of systems for sale sometime in October,
available to the general Lego community. Full production should be realized
later this fall (we're pedalling as fast as we can...)

I have tentative plans to appear at some Java and robotics groups across
the country, and I'll post a note to this list when those are definite.

(Thanks for letting me 'spam' this list once again on the topic of JCX
vaporware.)

Bruce Boyes