 Robotics / 21330
Re: Vision Command SUCKS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:25:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
The vision command's been sitting on the shelf for some time, so I thought
I'd try and use it. Problem is, I'm quite disappointed with the picture
quality. I wonder if anything is wrong with the camera.
What kind of quality should I expect? What I get now is all speckled, I
can't get a proper focus, and at least indoors everything is in shades of
orange.

Any help appreciated....

Duq

Vision command has to be the worst piece of crap ever made by Lego.

Even with the Vision Command updater, it wouldn't even run on my PC with my RIS
2.0 no matter what config I tried.
There was an unfixable conflict with my USB tower. I tried at least 4 operating
systems, none worked. Lego Mindstorm tech support couldn't help me either.

If that wasn't enough, the wire is bulky and it doesn't even talk directly to
the RCX. It needs an infrared, that means if your RCXs infrared range isn't long
enough, you're screwed!

Oh yeah, and they didn't even include a way to rotate the focus wheel using
technic gears attached to it.

The bad image quality is only one small problem compared to these! It's mostly
because they used an old, low-tech Logitech webcam surrounded by a Lego casing.

Thankfully, I sent it to Lego and they gave me back my money.

Sorry if I seem bitter, but I'm still pissed over the 4 days non-stop that I
spent trying to make this piece of dung work.