 Robotics / 20834
Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:09:03 GMT

I often have similar feelings of inadequacy, but to be honest, there is a
huge amount and variety of things that can be done with the RIS
out-of-the-box. I spent a lot of time on my "office-bot" platform (see
http://mindstorms.wilcoxfamily.net ); when I ran out of engineering
improvements I'd work on different programs for its behavior - line
following, collision recovery, etc.

It's important to just play and learn, and not worry about the fact that
your creations might not be cutting edge. I still feel like I am a normal
human among giants, but I've come a long way from my first creation that
shook itself to pieces in 10 seconds.

Also, you'll find this group extremely friendly to newbies - which may make
it unique among mailing lists. You'll be appreciated for whatever you create
or contribute, and the list will provide inspiration for small projects as
well as large - even if, at times, you find it a bit overwhelming.

Play well!

--Doug Wilcox.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Tarrabain" <markt@lynx.net>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 11:08 AM
Subject: LEGO robotics on a budget?

Here's a question I thought might be interesting to discuss.  What, in
people's opinions, are good ways of getting immersed into the building
of interesting programmable contraptions for relative newcomers to LEGO
who may not have heaping amounts of cash?

Obviously the Mindstorms RIS is a good start.  But for more interesting
devices (like the ones in Mindstorms Masterpieces -- I am held in almost
speechless awe of the creative genius in people like Kevin and the other
authors), one eventually and invariably requires a far wider reaching
assortment of pieces.  One can, of course, buy spare parts as one sees
they need them, but there are two problems I can see with that.  One, I
am not sure that it is as fiscally efficient as buying larger numbers of
parts in prepackaged sets, and two, it's not particularly helpful for
people who need at least some amount of hands-on exerience with
something in order to visualize and invent a new and clever way of
adapting a mechanism into a device.  Since a person on a budget cannot
realistically go out and buy "one of everything", they may end up
feeling constrained.