 Robotics / 20837
RE: LEGO robotics on a budget?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 02:28:49 GMT

I recently set out to buy the Ultimate Builders Expansion kit (I was after
additional motors), but haven't been able to find it in the city yet
(Calgary, Alberta, Canada).  So, I decided to find a separate kit that would
provide useful pieces to my Mindstorms kit.  The Technics kits are a rare
find it seems as well - some of the newer ones are available, but I don't
really see many useful parts in them for the price.  I found a Star Wars
"robot" kit at Walmart for a whopping $20 (Canadian even) that had 300+
pieces - mostly axles connector beams, and some of the smaller parts for
connecting pieces together.  Not much in itself, but I thought it was an
excellent find.  Now, I'm keeping my eyes out for similar kits as a cheap
source of parts.

I'd like to get into building more elaborate robots, but having to buy a
second RCX or even a spybotics scout seems too expensive.  I'd like to find
a source where I can get these items for next to nothing - guess I need to
start visiting garage sales and watching the classified ads... <grins>

My thoughts....

Shawn

(PS, I checked Toy's R Us, Walmart, Sears, and Future Shop - only Toy's R Us
carries the Mindstorms line...  Future shop either stopped carrying it, or
was out when I was there)