 Robotics / 20852
Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:45:59 GMT

I felt it reasonable to assume someone may be using an older computer/laptop
running Windows 9x (or later) but doesn't have a USB port.  This way, they
could plan some form of upgrade path for themselves and purchase the
appropriate IR tower for the system they currently have, thus keeping the
budget to a minimum.

I agree with the non-powered hub for use with the USB IR Tower, mouse, and
keyboard.  Beyond that, I suggest checking the laptop manual/website in
regards to non-powered USB hub device usage.  Some laptops restrict the
power available on the USB port.

If planning to use a USB cam and Mindstorms on a laptop with 1 USB port and
1 serial port, I'd get a serial tower rather than a USB hub.  Why?
Convenience--less cords and hardware clutter.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <rlimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> wrote:
Also, it is important to note port availability.  IR Towers are • available in
serial or USB.  Vision Command (if purchased later) will require a USB
port.  This could be important if using a laptop.

     Not as much as you might think.  I don't know who made it, but I • found a
4-way USB splitter box with a 10" cord that does not require external • power, and
I think it only costs about $15.  It's great for laptops, since half the • purpose
of having a laptop is so you can use a computer without having to be near • an
outlet.