 Robotics / 20832
  LEGO robotics on a budget?

Here's a question I thought might be interesting to discuss. What, in people's opinions, are good ways of getting immersed into the building of interesting programmable contraptions for relative newcomers to LEGO who may not have heaping amounts of (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

(...) Buy the RIS (probably 2.0) and play around with it for a while. Get used to what you can do with the parts provided before you assume you'll need a gigantic pile of parts available just to get started. If you're working on a budget, the best (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

I often have similar feelings of inadequacy, but to be honest, there is a huge amount and variety of things that can be done with the RIS out-of-the-box. I spent a lot of time on my "office-bot" platform (see (URL) ); when I ran out of engineering (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: LEGO robotics on a budget?

I recently set out to buy the Ultimate Builders Expansion kit (I was after additional motors), but haven't been able to find it in the city yet (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). So, I decided to find a separate kit that would provide useful pieces to my (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: LEGO robotics on a budget?

(...) If you have a Zany Brainy store near you, you might try that, though assuming their prices will be "budget" minded is a bit of a stretch. I've also found some decent deals on e-bay, though you have to watch the prices carefully. I bought a (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

(...) Didn't they just go out of business earlier this year? (21 years ago, 8-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

(...) Hi Mark, I'm sure Lego would be happy that they hooked a potential lifer ;) I would recommend Team Challenge Set with Software W990977 apposed to RIS2.0 It can be found at Pitsco Lego Educational Division and retails for $226.00 dollars (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

This is an awesome description of options! Here are my thoughts: If I was doing it all over again, I would get the first Team Challenge set you mentioned and the RIS 2.0 Upgrade (#3805, $19.99US). I can use Robolab or NQC on Mac or Windows. With (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Robolab upgrade to 2.5.3 and other things

Hello All, There is a patch of Robolab to 2.5.3. Is called Service_Pack12.1 It is around 4.2 mg in size Follow this URL: (URL) is also a list of bug fixes including; one specific problem that made me consider death on a weekend six months ago. (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

(...) Not as much as you might think. I don't know who made it, but I found a 4-way USB splitter box with a 10" cord that does not require external power, and I think it only costs about $15. It's great for laptops, since half the purpose of having (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO robotics on a budget?

I felt it reasonable to assume someone may be using an older computer/laptop running Windows 9x (or later) but doesn't have a USB port. This way, they could plan some form of upgrade path for themselves and purchase the appropriate IR tower for the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robolab upgrade to 2.5.3 and other things

(...) Hallo Bill, I've Robolab 2.5. May you tell me where I can download the Service_Pack to upgrading from 2.5 to 2.5.2 ? Unfortunately the italian Dacta distributor have not. Thank you in advance. Alfio Scaletta from Italy (21 years ago, 22-Jun-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Re: Robolab upgrade to 2.5.3 and other things

(...) Unfortunately the Service Pack 1 does not seem to work properly to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.5.2. The best way is to get a copy of the current Robolab ver 2.5.2 which is called "ROBOLAB with Training Missions" from your local LEGO distributor. (...) (21 years ago, 3-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics.edu)