 Robotics / 20726
  OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

Fact is, it doesn't matter what type of computer someone has or the OS on it if hardware and associated resources are not configured properly or if hardware is faulty. I've yet to fix a computer where the problem could be attributed to a "bad OS". (...) (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

(...) Yeah? Aside from saying the words "Floating Point Math", here's an odd problem for you (and one of the primary reasons we upgraded from ME to XP on those two machines). Our office had one server/computer running NT, and a network consisting of (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns

So, someone told your company they had to buy a new car because someone parked in your space? Off the top of my head, I'd say the problem was caused by the way the driver was configured on the ME machines, not because of ME itself---a device control (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

(...) Erm, this "deleting" files instead of "uninstalling" them... suppose a person were to do this... is there an easy way to undo the, uh, deletion? Of course, I'm asking this hypothetically! :-) (...) Information on this could be useful-- (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

(...) It usually depends on the software. The problem is that when you delete the files the computer doesn't realize that the software isn't still installed. Some software will not allow you to reinstall unless the previous copy has been completely (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns

It's safe to delete files that aren't tied to applications or registered as services or apps within the OS (in Windows, anyway). If you just start deleting DLL and EXE files in the Windows system directories, you can cripple your machine. Deleting a (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

(...) That's funny. The registry is just bits on the drive. I'd suggest regedit32 and simply delete the appropriate data in the relevant hives. If that doesn't work then go for a sector editor. Venimus, Vidimus, Delevimus. -- ___...___ We are all (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

Yeah, but it's knowing *which* bits that makes all the difference! Mark "Jim Choate" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0...ssz.com... (...) of (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)

(...) -- ___...___ We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space" ravage@ssz.com jchoate@open-forge.org www.ssz.com www.open-forge.org ---...--- (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OS Stability concerns

Actually the software was LEGO Chess, so nothing critical. I had opted to install the abbreviated version, but when I gave that computer to my kids I figured there would be room for the full one, but instead of uninstalling the shorter one, well, (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.robotics)