 Robotics / 20726
20725  |  20727
Subject:
OS Stability concerns (from/was RE: Vision Command)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 18:24:04 GMT

Fact is, it doesn't matter what type of computer someone has or the OS
on it if hardware and associated resources are not configured properly
or if hardware is faulty.  I've yet to fix a computer where the problem
could be attributed to a "bad OS".

The OS crashes because something isn't right within the machine or
because the user did something to aggravate an already present problem
(for example, having a computer with 32MB of RAM, 25MB of free space,
and tries to scan in an 8.5x11 document at 2400dpi).

In my experience, I see the following breakdown:

About 85% user initiated--running unknown applications, disabling virus
scanners, downloading "cracked" software, installing spyware, "deleting"
files instead of "uninstalling", buying a new sound card and trying to
put it in without any knowledge of hardware concepts, etc.  This
includes users attempting to upgrade OS platforms without verifying and
correcting any possible hardware device contentions.

About 10% for improper/lack-of maintenance--nobody opens their cases to
blow out the dust clogging the CPU and power supply fans (even when
installing the new sound card...)

About 5% hardware failure (including spilled coffee) or problems that
manifest "out of the blue".  Most of that is caused by lack of adequate
surge suppression (most people only protect power lines, not data
lines).

If that was useful information to anyone, then great... If not, then my
apologies.

- Rob