 Robotics / 20307
RE: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:11:48 GMT

Andrew J. Huang:
From a code writing point of view, defining macros
that identify the motor is much nicer than having
to list out the path to the motor.  However, when
you have to replace a dodgy motor on an
individual, you'll have to re-map the motor name
(revise the .h) and then recompile.  If you're on
Mars, or at a standalone (no reprogramming)
competition, a recompile and download isn't
convenient.

Yes, you're right. :)

The alternative would be to tweak the Device_ID/Friendly_Device_Name table
in real-time, updating the new Device_ID.
Then, the compile-time table with the Friendly_Device_Name/MOC_Specific_Name
would still valid.

A route to the motor isn't so bad since it can be
encoded as a macro just the same:

#define RightHand_Finger1 down_neck, \
   first_right_appendage, \
   past_rotator_cuff, \
   past_elbow-joint, \
   first_daisy chain

Seconds after I sent the msg, I thought about this too.

Then, no matter the method used, the source can always use MOC specific
device names, through macros.

hmmm... but aren't we replacing a Device System with a Node System ?
Wouldn't we still need a Node_ID/Friendly_Node_Name map ?

However, the main point is that you can hide an
arbitrary amount of code ugliness.

Yes, that is true.

mc.