 Robotics / 20308
RE: RCX & RIS, a fading glory? - replacement for RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:25:20 GMT

And unless we forget, there is always fischertechnik with eight inputs and four
outputs (and an expansion module) for 130 euros. Moreover fischertechnik
continues to produce new products (check out the bionic robots or the new mobile
robots with improved motors.
www.fishertechnik.de

Cheers!
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Limbaugh [mailto:rlimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 05:57
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory? - replacement for RCX

For under $100 one can tap into more power and features from the guts of a
laptop that has a cracked screen.

Sorry to rain on the JCX parade, but I don't see $500 worth of features or
value for me.

If you can all hang in there another two months the answer will be JCX:

http://www.jcx.systronix.com

512 KBytes SRAM (this can be used just for heap - working data space)
512 KBytes to 2048 KBytes Flash (for code and file system)
32-bit 3.3V current technology CPU with 32-bit registers and 32-bit
internal memory
prebuilt code support for all the standard Lego motors and sensors
prebuilt code support for 1/4 VGA LCD with touchscreen, others in the • works
(1/8 VGA)
8 sensor inputs per plug in board, Lego(tm) compatible, multiple boards • allowed
4 motor outputs per plug in board, Lego(tm) compatible, multiple boards • allowed
backplane 100x100 mm with six slots (CPU + five I/O boards)
RF Modem and bluetooth in development
compatible with Lego electrical connectors
Add your own plug in board for other sensors, motors, etc
Already compatible with color image camera CMUcam, code already written to
support this
Most of the code support will be open source, user contributions welcomed
Optional Super CPU with 2 MB RAM, 4/8 MB flash, 10BaseT ethernet
Target price for base system with 8 inputs, four outputs, first listed • CPU,
backplane, software US$500
etc etc etc
It really will be here in first half 2003, we plan to demo at April and
June trade shows in San Francisco
I realize all the above is not trivial, that's why it has taken us nearly
two years to develop.

Sincerely

Bruce Boyes