 Robotics / 20241
RE: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:26:37 GMT

Andy,

This won't happen if the Device_ID to Device_Friendly_Name mapping is as
generic as "motor1", "motor2", "light1", "lightsensor1", "irdar1",
"rotationsensor1", "rotationsensor2" and so on...

Then, the *specific* Device_Friendly_Name to Robot_Device_Location mapping
should be done at the source code level (as it is done now, when I say the
the LEFT_ELBOW = OUT_1).

Today, you have to pay attention to which motor/sensor is connected to which
port so everything goes ok with your robot.

With the system we are talking about, you should pay attention to what
devices are where in the robot, and not to what port are connected.

Just by looking at the "friendly name" written by you on the device instead
of looking at the port letter/number.

mc.

-----Original Message-----> Andrew J. Huang
From: PeterBalch

You come home from the shop with your brand new • motor. You plug it into
your cpu "brick" and plug the cpu into your PC. • You select the PC menu
command New Hardware. The PC talks to the cpu, • the cpu talks to the bus and
asks everyone whose attached to identify • themselves. The PC sees the new
motor and says 'You've got a new "motor". What do • you want to call it'. You
take a felt-tip and write on the motor "XYZ" then • tell the PC 'It's called
"XYZ"'. From now on, the PC always refers to that • motor as XYZ. No-one need
ever see the long id number 2908347525.

This is fine for computer systems that change
infrequently, but for
lego that is intended to change often, it's not
ideal.  There is a linkage between the programming
and the specific motors or sensors.  If you take
your machine apart and then rebuild it later, the
same devices must be used in the same locations;
switching the original drive motor for an arm
would have serious functionality issues!