 Robotics / 20030
Re: Land mine robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:00:28 GMT

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Scott Davis wrote:

I thought of a new project and would like some input on the idea.  My idea
is to set up a sand box and hide objects to simulate land mines.  My thought
was to have a robot search for the hidden mines.  My question is, how can I
get the robot to sense the hidden mines?

A Hall Effect sensor with suitable signal conditioning would be one way,
if they're ferric.

Another, assuming all your 'mines' are ferric, would be to put a magnet on
a swing arm with a switch that would engage when the magent was attracted
to the 'mine'. Assuming of course the magnet isn't strong enough (or the
mines light enough) to extract the 'mines' from the substrate.

A magneto-telluric approach might work, where you pass a known current
through the ground and the presence of 'mines' would interrupt or modify
the signature.

An ultra-sonice approach where you look at the acoustic reflectivity of
the sand, the 'mines' should have a significantly different responce from
loose sand.

A 'plow' approach where you build a plow device that collects the mines
and deposits them in a container, perhaps counting them to give your bot
something to do other than wander around.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org