 Robotics / 20028
Re: Land mine robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:30:27 GMT

I bought a metal detector circuit kit to do the same thing.  Even
though the kit was a good value (around $15), it requires a radio.

A little dismayed (since I don't want to add a metal detector
AND radio to a bot), I searched the net for schematics for
metal detectors.  There are several out there.

I don't know where the links are at the moment, or where I have
copies of the information, but I found a couple that are useful.

The designs I located allow one to adjust the size of the search
coil (which I planned to make from one of those large white
wheel hubs that come with RIS).  The circuits look pretty easy,
but because the hub isn't the exact diameter, there will be a
little bit of tweaking required.  Also, the device would need
to be connected to one of the powered sensor interface designs
for the RCX.

One circuit said it could locate objects a couple of inches into
the ground.  In any case, it had direct audio output and audio
amp circuit that I figured could be cut out and feed into the
RCX.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with links at the moment, but
please do pursue the endeavor!