 Robotics / 19816
Re: Working motorized focus for Vision Command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 04:40:14 GMT

Sorry for the late reply ... consumer still cameras (even cheap ones)
have auto-focus capability, so the technology has to be within reach
of the RCX.  I did a search on Google and found the following
definitions:

Active auto-focus is where the camera uses infrared or sonar ranging
to determine distance to the subject (and therefore the required focus
adjustment).  With an infrared or sonar ranging sensor for the RCX,
I'm sure the RCX would be able to handle the auto-focus itself, but I
have no idea what the algorithm would be.  It could be as simple as
a linear relationship between distance to subject and rotations of the
focus ring.  I know I've seen discussions of home-made distance
sensors for the RCX, so depending on exactly what you want to
accomplish, this might be the easiest way to go.

Passive auto-focus is where the camera analyses the image to determine
the point of highest contrast between adjacent pixels, as others have
already mentioned.

HTH,
Mark Haye

"Bluey" <Wolf_and_eagle@spamblock.yahoo.com> wrote in message
anyone??

In lugnet.robotics, Timothy Schroeder writes:
This may be a stupid question, but could the vision command be made to
"autofocus" given special code?

Timothy