 Robotics / 19781
  Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

Currently debating in my head whether of these versions is the best to buy. I've checked the inventory with Peeron, all RIS kits appear more or less identical in their supply of parts. Does 1.5 come with ANYTHING that isn't included in 2.0 ? I would (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

(...) Almost identical... parts differences: RIS 2.0 has an USB infrared tower, RIS 1.5 a serial one. RIS 2.0 also has an "optic fiber" used to program Micro Scout. (...) No, but RIS 2.0 has instructions for 6 more constructions on CD. Philo (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

(...) Dunno - but the overriding thing that should determine which one you'd want is that the 1.5 RIS comes with a SERIAL PORT (RS-232) interface to the infra-red tower - the 2.0 set has a more modern USB interface. The USB version is better - but (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

To add to Stephane question: Are there any hardware differences between between the 2.0, 1.5, and 1.0 versions of the RCX brick? Has anyone noticed any performance differences? Are all programmable with the included RIS 2.0 software? Roy Nelson (...) (22 years ago, 17-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

(...) The only difference is that the 1.0 brick has an external power connector so you can save batteries while testing by plugging in an external mains adaptor. In all other respects, the three bricks are identical. (...) Yes. My 1.0 brick runs 2.0 (...) (22 years ago, 17-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

(...) Actually I've noticed that the 2.0 brick's IR capabilities don't seem to be as strong as the 1.0/1.5 bricks. I don't know why this would be, if something got changed in the hardware? It isn't an issue for most things, but if you want bricks (...) (22 years ago, 18-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

I have one of each RCX (1.0, 1.5 , 2.0) and have tested the signals using a palm app called IRMonitor with little or no difference between the three. This is by no means a "labratory test". Haveyou noticed this with more than one brick? For the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

I have not performed any tests, but if you go in configuration panel, you will see that the USB tower can't be put in long range mode if it is placed behind a passive (non powered) USB hub. That may also be the case for low power laptop usb ports. (...) (22 years ago, 18-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tempted in buying my first Mindstorms invention kit - 1.5 vs 2.0 ?

I have observed a bit of sloppiness in the manufacture of the RCX's such that, in some cases, the IR diodes aren't mounted perfectly horizontally, they may be at an angle which will affect the apparent range. Opening the case and re-aligning the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Dec-02, to lugnet.robotics)