 Robotics / 19739
Re: Controlling larger motors from RCX ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:41:32 GMT

Terry, I'd like to have more details about your project. I wonder, wouldn't
be easier if you use a PICMicro MCU? or maybe another controller family?
Tell me more, maybe I can help.

Best Regards,
CarlosLuis Rendon M.
"Terry King" <tking@together.net> wrote in message
We need to control larger motors with a separate 12V
power supply, from the RCX outputs.  We would like to
'mirror' the RCX bipolar, pulse-width-modulated outputs
to a separate circuit with a larger H-bridge that is
(probably) electrically isolated from the RCX.

Can anyone point to an example of doing this? I betcha
someone has by now, but I didn't find much with my
Google search...

We can build some external electronics, etc.  but don't want
to reinvent the wheel (driver).

First thoughts are two opposite-connected optoisolators
with a series resistor to the RCX output.  But then, how
to drive an H-bridge from that??

We need to drive two electric-window motors that are 12V and
about 5 to 10 amps, for a tracked vehicle.

BTW, any recent sources for TRACKS would be appreciated!

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
tking@waitsriver.k12.vt.us