 Robotics / 19193
Re: RCX as programmable battery charger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:52:50 GMT

In article <NGBBLFNPCLBPEJNIJPOEKEIJCCAA.camp0s@libero.it>, lego-
robotics@crynwr.com says...
I was looking at my 1 years old cell phone, its battery is deteriorationg so
This could be done... I think. Learning how it all works is
enough of a reason to make a $100 microcontroller charge $10 batteries...

The Rcx outputs current limit at about 350 Ma, as I recall
(Info is on the WWW - search on "Rcx Internals" ).
The output voltage is about
1.5 volts LESS than the supply. I assume you'd run
this off a plug-in power supply.

So, let's say you want to charge 3  nicads, putting out
up to 1.5 volts into them. Decide what MAXIMUM current
you want to limit to, as use a series resistor to
limit the current. MAybe that would be something
like 100 Ma. So, figure it out, like this:

3 Nicads max voltage= 4.5
9Volts (Into Rcx) minus about 1.5 equals 7.5 out of Rcx
So you want a voltage drop of 7.5 - 4.5 = 3 volts at .1 Amps (100Ma)
R = Voltage Over Current  R = E / I  so  R = 3 / .1 = 30 ohms.
A standard resistor value is 27 ohms. Ooops, how much POWER ??
P = E * I  so Power (Watts) = 3 * .1  = .3 watts  so you need at least
a 1/2 watt resistor.

Now, the Rcx has pulse width "speed" control, from full-on down
to on 1/8th of the time.  It's fine to charge batteries with a pulse.
So you can set the current lower than your maximum by setting the
"speed".  Oh, some Nicad and alkaline charges actually put a short
NEGATIVE (Opposite polarity) pulse thru the battery when charging.
Search on "Pulse Battery Charging" on Google.com

So, you can control charging current, possible negative-pulses,
and time.  If you want to make a fast-charger, you may want to
measure temperature of the battery too.

There's plenty to start experimenting with!

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
tking@waitsriver.k12.vt.us