 Robotics / 19151
19150  |  19152
Subject:
RCX as programmable battery charger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:40:12 GMT

I was looking at my 1 years old cell phone, its battery is deteriorationg so
fast cause of a bad recharger.
I wondered about building a "hardware" charger, but i never found a design
without a IC with good features: without an IC its quite difficult to
assemble a recharger with additional features like discharge before charge,
selectable battery voltage, detect of full charge and so on.

I said then, ok one RCX: i've three input, 3 output and a microcontroller;
and NQC.

Now i'm willing to program and build it, but i've encountered the first
problem:
1)what is the maximun output power for each port of the RCX ?
2)and how is the output signal: PWM or linear voltage?

3)If i would need the three output to work togheter, should put a diode for
each port before connecting them togheter (to heve three times the current,
for example)?
4)And to measure the voltage of the battery, i've read in previous post
about setting the sensor to Temperature one, is this correct?

These are just starting question, just to try leashing things toghether and
see if it works.

(The next ones would probabily be: how is the best methods of charging
batterys ? [nicd, nimh])

...and yes, i'm using a transformer to power the RCX...