 Robotics / 19197
R: RCX as programmable battery charger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:24:48 GMT

Thanks for that info, i also searched with google about maximum output
power, but the only thingh i got was 10 mA from the the microcontroller chip
and a lot about firmware, programming and other stuffs.

What i'm whising to do, is not just a "current producer for the cell phone
battery", it's something you put the battery into it and pressing two button
you can choose to:

fast charge;
discharge and then charge;
do many discharge/charge cycles;
keep the battery on with some pulse;
....and so on.

I've just few question before the practise:

the 350 Ma output is from a single output, or from all three outputs?
and, if i'm using one output i should do not use the others two if not just
for little power, for example lighthing those little lego lights ?

About the discharge, i just need to set the output to "reverse", setting a
"slow velocity" (so 1/8 pwm) and then check the voltage to not let it run
too much down (3 nicd--> about 1.2 v per battery, stop discharge at
3.6~3.4V) what could happen if i drain too much batteryes, about 2.7 V ?.

Last, monitoring the voltage. How can i do that done by the RCX ? just need
the 0~5V range, are there some RCX sensor preset?

About negative-pulse charging:

start cicle
max (350) milli amp charge for 1 second
2 millisecond rest
max (-350) amp Negative-Pulse for 5 milliseconds
10 millisecond rest where battery is evaluated and if everything is OK and
the battery in not yet fully charged the 1 second pulse cycle is repeated
end cicle

would this cicle be ok ?