 Robotics / 19338
Re: Hardware mods to the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:39:04 GMT

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Stef Mientki wrote:

FDTI chips are very easy to use, look at
    http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html
or
    http://www.ftdichip.com/

Those are WONDERFUL links.  Thanks!

Maybe there some usefull links at the next page under the block
"Mindstorms Internals"
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/%7Emientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_mindstorms_knex_index.htm

I had only found a couple of those, the others look very useful.

Replace the IR components by a serial connection won't be difficult,
because IR sending is just modulated RS232 and receiving is even
demodulated in the IR-receiver component, so it's RS232.
The most difficult part will be to modify the firmware to handle the
higher frequences.

Actually, I was hoping to leave the existing IR circutry in place and just
switch it out when a cable is connected.  That should give me backwards
compatability.  As far as the firmware, I expect to be writing my own code
in Forth, so shifting gears shouldn't be a problem.  I used to be an
embedded systems programmer, so dealing with the H8 looks like fun.

-- Matt