 Robotics / 19324
Re: Problem with auto-steering mechanism.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:34:28 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:

I hope it's not some 'iffy' deal with subtly adjusting the friction

in the drive versus the friction of the turntable - but I suspect it
might be.

I find it hard to believe some 'iffy' condition would be required for a
mass-producted childs toy.  (so you hope)

Yeah - exactly.

I have two suggestions.
1) Limit the rotation of the turntable to 180 degrees.  (or 180 each
direction)  That should keep it from getting stuck when it gets in 'bad air'

Limiting the rotation like that would remove the very feature of this
mechanism that I need - the ability to escape (eventually) from any kind
of corner.

2) Somewhere I saw a post where they made a limited slip differential.  It
was something like this:

Take a piece of Technic Ribbed Hose ( http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/78 )
cut it to one stud long (I cringe saying 'cut') and slip it in the
differential before sliding the axles in place.

I'm not sure if it will fit, but that would make it harder for the wheels to
turn in different directions, than to go straight.

That might work - but it comes into the catagory of 'iffy' friction
adjustment!  I'll give it a try.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net