 Robotics / 19334
Re: Hardware mods to the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:10:33 GMT

Matt Lawrence wrote:
Ok, I'm interested in doing some hardware mods to a few RCX bricks to get
better communication.  So here are a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone published an actual schematic of the 1.0 RCX?

2. Has anyone already designed a USB interface to the RCX?

I'm thinking about either designing or (hopefully) finding a small USB to
serial TTL daughterboard that can be easily (for some value of easily)
installed inside the brick.
FDTI chips are very easy to use, look at
    http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html
or
    http://www.ftdichip.com/

   I'm thinking about using the power from the
USB connection to open relays to the IR section so that I can run serial
at 38400 full duplex.  Ideas?

Maybe there some usefull links at the next page under the block
"Mindstorms Internals"
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/%7Emientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_mindstorms_knex_index.htm

Replace the IR components by a serial connection won't be difficult,
because IR sending is just modulated RS232 and receiving is even
demodulated in the IR-receiver component, so it's RS232.
The most difficult part will be to modify the firmware to handle the
higher frequences.

Succes,
Stef Mientki

-- Matt