 Robotics / 19288
Re: Detecting tilt with an Accelerometer.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:55:39 GMT

How it might work: Measure the acceleration into the direction of the point
the object is rotating around while falling sideways (e.g. the wheels of the
segway). The acceleration in that direction will be 1g * cos(a), where a is
the angle between the current position of the segway and the verical axis.
But since cos(a) ~ 1 for most small angles, the object has to tilt a decent
amount to measure a significant reduction in vertical acceleration.

I think I figured this out, right before I read this.

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but if I put the sensor on the
bottom, under the axle, then it will spin opposite the direction the LegWay
is falling.  So, it could actually reach almost 2g (just before the top
smashes into the ground)

Then, I just have to ignore the sideways acceleration caused by the motors
(that's the hard part) and it WILL work.

hmm...
Steve