 Robotics / 19282
Re: Detecting tilt with an Accelerometer.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:01:46 GMT

On Monday 21 October 2002 18:43, you wrote:
Let me start by saying, "It won't work."
It might work, but imho not the obvious way.

How it won't work: Measure the acceleration sideways. You would measure an
acceleration if you were holding the whole setup at a certain angle, but
since the whole sensor including the mechanic parts inside is actually
"falling", you just don't measure anything. It's like a pendulum attached to
something that falls sideways: You won't be able to see any movement of the
pendulum relative to the falling object it is attached to. You can easily
verify this using your favorite construction toy.

How it might work: Measure the acceleration into the direction of the point
the object is rotating around while falling sideways (e.g. the wheels of the
segway). The acceleration in that direction will be 1g * cos(a), where a is
the angle between the current position of the segway and the verical axis.
But since cos(a) ~ 1 for most small angles, the object has to tilt a decent
amount to measure a significant reduction in vertical acceleration.

Ciao,
  Till