 Robotics / 19285
Re: Detecting tilt with an Accelerometer.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:32:16 GMT

In message:  <CAEBIOGHPFFJALBLJBEDCEHBECAA.rhempel@bmts.com>
             "Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> writes:

I've had discussions lately with a VERY large number of people about
using an accelerometer to detect if an object (like a LegWay) is tilting.

I'd like to continue the discussion here, with anyone willing to talk about • it.

Let me start by saying, "It won't work."

Let me chime in and say "It won't work"

Tilt detection is almost always done using a simple inclinometer. This
is just a weighted pendulum on a potentiometer or shaft encoder.

Umm... that is a type of accelerometer, unless there's a terminology
difference that I'm not aware of.  (Consider what happens to the
sensor when pushed sideways (not on axis) without rotation... you
get transient swings representing the acceleration.  The steady state
of the sensor is just measuring angle of acceleration due to gravity.)

- Alex