 Robotics / 19166
Re: Quick reference for NQC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Tony Hafner wrote:

Where would I find a simple reference for getting started with NQC?  I'm
looking for something that lists what software/firmware you need to get NQC
code into the RCX and walks you through getting a program running.

The manual that comes with NQC is well written and quite concise - it's hard
to imagine something smaller that would still tell you all you need to know.

Also, if you are running a Windows PC then you can use BricxCC
(http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm) which ships with an NQC
tutorial written by Marc Overmars.  It is a nice intro to using NQC.  The
sample programs which come with BricxCC are tied to the tutorial.

If you have the RIS 2.0 software installed (or the Lego Mindstorms SDK 2.0)
then you've got a firmware file on your PC (firm0328.lgo - or the earlier
version firm0309.lgo).  If you don't know where that file is on your PC you
can search for it using Explorer.  You'll need your IR tower properly
installed/configured on your PC.  If you've got NQC, an RCX brick, a working
IR tower, and a firmware file then it should be extremely easy to get
started.  BricxCC just makes it easier.

In BricxCC start by searching for the brick.  Choose RCX2 if the have
firm0328.lgo and pick the correct port.  Then try downloading the firmware
via Tools/Download Firmware.  Once that's done you can open a sample NQC
program.  Look in the BricxCC\Documentation directory for a file called
"tutorial.doc" which you can open using WordPad if you don't have Word.

If you have specific problems with BricxCC and NQC I am happy to be of
assistance.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm