 Robotics / 19124
Re: Need to compare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:32:07 GMT

Vincent Raman wrote:

Yes, it's the maximum dimensions...

Oh - that's a pain.

We have already seen the shrimp and we think to build something like that
(maybe also with tri-star wheels)... But if somebody find a better solution,
because we don't know the comportement of the shrimp with a little hole on
the ground. A whole just large enouh to "keep" a wheel...

Well, I guess it depends on how rough the terrain in general is.  If it's
a flat, smooth surface with just one 5cm hole - then practically any vehicle
with (say) 6 wheels will drive across it like it wasn't there.

However, if the ground is just that rough in general then a more robust
design may be called for...a six legged walker would be best.

Is there a formal competition arena that's accurately defined - or is
this just a generally rough area that you don't know a lot about?

But the trouble is that we can exclude all other possibilty without
arguments! Just saying "That's we need" is not enough...

Why exclude caterpillars, legs?

I certainly wouldn't exclude legs - they are a really good idea for
extremely rough and unpredictable terrain - you can make them adapt
to the shape of the ground - something that a fixed-geometry vehicle
can't do.

If you could get enough Lego tracks, you could possibly do well with
a LARGE tracked vehicle too...something like this:

   http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/misc/swiftmale.htm

...but you'd need it to be the maximum size your competition allows - and
there are no Lego tracks that big - so I would consider building a vehicle
like  the underside of that using lots of separate track segments.

                             /o  ^
                            /o/  |
                           /o/  30cm
      _____  _____  _____ /o/    |
     (o_o_o)(o_o_o)(o_o_o)       v

...if you built that to the maximum size the competition allows then it
should be able to climb a 30cm step and cross holes up to maybe 30cm.
With a low enough center of gravity, it could probably do a good job
over almost any terrain.

...but it would need to be big in order to climb large steps.  Something
made with just one set of tracks and an RCX stuck in between will be hard-pressed
to climb even a 2cm step.

For the step, it begins at 1cm and it will be increased until no véhicule is
able to climb this step...

OK - so this isn't a 'stair climbing' problem.

Can you show us the *entire* description of the problem?   It's hard to visualise
with just pieces of description.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net