 Robotics / 19117
  Need to compare

Hello everybody, For my university, we must construct a bot with LEGO Mindstorms. This bot has to be able to climb a step, to ride above a (little) whole and to have left and right wheels at different height. In fact, he might be able to go (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

Vincent, (...) Without knowing the limitations of your resources, I would vote for a legged vehicle. You can make if large enough that even if a leg did go in the hole it wouldn't fall in or get stuck, you could make it with as many legs as you like (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

Thank you for your idea... but I forgot to say you that I have restriction for the dimensions... Dimensions : height : 30cm Lenght : 60cm width : 30cm And we can have 620 Euro's... Bye Vincent ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Thorn" (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

(...) Is that the *initial* dimensions - or the *maximum* dimensions? If it's just one of those things like "the robot must start off in a box no bigger than 30x60x30" - then it can just fold itself up into that space when they are doing the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

Thanks, Yes, it's the maximum dimensions... We have already seen the shrimp and we think to build something like that (maybe also with tri-star wheels)... But if somebody find a better solution, because we don't know the comportement of the shrimp (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

(...) I like the tri-wheel design. If you make if big enough it shouldn't have any trouble. Something like this (or bigger): (URL)For the step, it begins at 1cm and it will be increased until no véhicule is (...) The advantage of an ODEX design. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

(...) Oh - that's a pain. (...) Well, I guess it depends on how rough the terrain in general is. If it's a flat, smooth surface with just one 5cm hole - then practically any vehicle with (say) 6 wheels will drive across it like it wasn't there. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

Ok, so, the complete description.... It's not really a competition, but a project for students in my university... We have to build a bot with LEGO mindstorms... This bot has to be able to follow a line on a ground made in steel. This line goes (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

(...) A straight tri-wheel like that can't climb anything higher than half it's height though. If you are really after something that'll climb TALL steps, then it has to have something high up at the front to grab the top of the step with. Even a (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Need to compare

The following link may be of some use, it seems an interesteing design for climbing obstacles. (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)