 Robotics / 18939
Re: Iveco Eurostar with extensible trailer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:48:01 GMT

Its very very simple how the steering works.

If you ever have taken a good look on the fifth wheel on a truck, (europian
ones not sure about US trucks) there are a little cutout piece in the rear,
and behind the king pin (the pin on the trailer which is connecting into the
fifth wheel) there are a similar piece which is locking into the "free
area", marked as A on the photo. Then the steering are done by a beam to the
axle(s) which is supposed to be steered.
The angle are then determed automaticly after the turn the truck are doing.
On the lowloader trailers the principle are the same, but the beam are
replaced by a cylinder.
(See the simple drawing to the right)
The cylinder in the gooseneck, will move oil from this cylinder back the to
the cylinders regulating the height on the axles. This will keep the trailer
at the same height almost every uneven ness it will drive by on the road.
The second cylinder are another one ontop of the fifth wheel, controlling
the turning angle. This are done cylinders aswell.
Yes there are radio controlled axles, and than you just have one man walking
behind, steering the hydraulics on the wheels, since the steering are done
by oil. (Im not sure how this really works, but I think it is one seperated
curcuit on the steering cylinders, and the wheels are just contuining the
angle, since they are already steered...
And there are forcesteered axles, see drawing c.
I tried to draw it like an old style steering part from lets say technic set
8020
Note the difference.... from a to b.

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message

"Francesca Galbier" <francesca.galbier@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

determined by angle of steering wheel on the tractor by 2 rotation • sensors
differently positioned. I don't know if this happen in the real truck
also,

I'm not entirely sure either! I think from a geometrical viewpoint it • makes
more sense to derive the angle of the trailer wheels from the angle of the
trailer relative to the tractor, assuming you want the trailer to follow a
similar path as the tractor, but I may be wrong. I've come across trailers
where the wheels are steered with hydraulics which seems conceptually
similar to the approach you took, and also ones where the trailer wheels • can
be steered independently from the tractor to help get long trailers round
sharp corners on narrow roads.

Certainly I think that pure mechanical transmission of these angles to the
trailer wheels is very rare.

Any comments on this from heavy haulage enthusiasts here?

Jennifer