 Technic / 8118
Re: Iveco Eurostar with extensible trailer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:36:35 GMT

"Francesca Galbier" <francesca.galbier@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

determined by angle of steering wheel on the tractor by 2 rotation sensors
differently positioned. I don't know if this happen in the real truck
also,

I'm not entirely sure either! I think from a geometrical viewpoint it makes
more sense to derive the angle of the trailer wheels from the angle of the
trailer relative to the tractor, assuming you want the trailer to follow a
similar path as the tractor, but I may be wrong. I've come across trailers
where the wheels are steered with hydraulics which seems conceptually
similar to the approach you took, and also ones where the trailer wheels can
be steered independently from the tractor to help get long trailers round
sharp corners on narrow roads.

Certainly I think that pure mechanical transmission of these angles to the
trailer wheels is very rare.

Any comments on this from heavy haulage enthusiasts here?

Jennifer