 Robotics / 18436
18435  |  18437
Subject:
LEGO parts -- genuine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:54:26 GMT

I have what y’all might consider stupid questions on the identification
of some parts.  But please consider that I’ve only played casually with
LEGOs as an adult, never as a child, and have only the last several
months been really learning the ins and outs of Mindstorms, etc.  As
part of that, I have become intimately familiar with many LEGO,
technic, and Mindstorms parts.  However, I’m still getting the hang of
the thousands of LEGO standard and specialty parts (okay, I’ll never
come across or recognize all of them!).

I have recently been adding many Technic, Mindstorms, and LEGOs parts
to my collection for class to allow us more building and programming
flexibility.  (We’re currently up to 8 Mindstorms sets, 8 RoboSports
sets, 1 Ultimate Accessory Set, 1 Vision Command Set, 1 extra camera, 8
extra motors – not counting those that came with RoboSports -- 5 extra
touch sensors, 9 battery boxes, and about 15 extra pounds of misc.
technic and LEGO parts to build with.  If that doesn’t keep them busy,
I give up!)

In adding the non-Mindstorms parts, I have been buying bulk LEGOs on
eBay (seems to be cheaper than other sources).  However, the last batch
I bought was about 1/8 Tycho, MegaBlocks, Fisher Price, etc., and not
LEGO. It was supposed to be a mixture of LEGO specialty parts – lots of
those, I think someone was building spaceships and castles – and
regular LEGO bricks, a little short in that area.  Anyway, so I’ve been
sorting the pieces down to report back to the seller (sorry, but I
resent being shorted pound-wise in the first place, and then have 1 ¼
pounds turn out to be definitely not LEGOs).

I have come across some pieces that are pretty identical to LEGO, but
are MegaBlock or Tycho, so I know some pieces can be VERY close and not
LEGO.  I’m being compulsive about the LEGO, because I don’t want non-
LEGO pieces getting used and mixed in with competition sets (I’m
coaching two FLL teams).

However, I have run across two different parts (of sufficient number
that I am concerned) that I cannot tell what they are.  One is an
elongated slope.  It appears to be a black 75 2x1x3 slope (3 being the
height), but the stud is open (hollow) and there is no LEGO mark.  It
is textured exactly like the smaller LEGO slopes.  There is a tiny
number stamped inside the slope, but I can’t read it (it might be 1-61
or something like that).  Is this a LEGO?

The other is a black column 1x1x5 (5 being the height) that has a
square opening at the bottom and an open (hollow) stud at the top (some
have a tiny “bar” across the bottom of the opening).    Is this a LEGO?

Also, there are a few pieces here and there that appear identical in
every way to the LEGOs with the exception (such as small tiles) where
the numbers printed on them are different and there is no LEGO mark
(one does say patent pending), some are plain, some have a label with a
design (not painted on the brick).  I’m assuming these are not LEGOs,
despite the similarities.  Are there older LEGOs that did not have the
LEGO mark?

Okay, that’s the end of the amateur hour.

Thanks for any and all education in identifying LEGO parts,

Liz Bilbro
Teacher/Coach
CyberStorm Robotics Class and First LEGO League Team
Sports for the Mind for Lubbock Homeschoolers
www.cyberstorm.us