 Robotics / 18439
Re: LEGO parts -- genuine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, liz@bookwyrmz.com writes:
I have what y’all might consider stupid questions on the identification
of some parts.  But please consider that I’ve only played casually with
LEGOs as an adult, never as a child, and have only the last several
months been really learning the ins and outs of Mindstorms, etc.

Hello Liz,

Well, I'm not enough of a LEGO piece expert to help you identify the parts
in question, but perhaps I can offer another piece of friendly advice:

There is a tiny
number stamped inside the slope, but I can’t read it (it might be 1-61
or something like that).  Is this a LEGO?

The other is a black column 1x1x5 (5 being the height) that has a
square opening at the bottom and an open (hollow) stud at the top (some
have a tiny “bar” across the bottom of the opening).    Is this a LEGO?

Don't forget that in both these cases, you are referring to LEGO(R) bricks
and not a 'LEGO'.  LEGO being the name of the company, not the product.

Also, there are a few pieces here and there that appear identical in
every way to the LEGOs with the exception (such as small tiles) where
the numbers printed on them are different and there is no LEGO mark
(one does say patent pending), some are plain, some have a label with a
design (not painted on the brick).  I’m assuming these are not LEGOs,
despite the similarities.  Are there older LEGOs that did not have the
LEGO mark?

Similar above.... there being no plural version of the name LEGO.

See the company's own website for all the legal mumbo jumbo:

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/printpage.asp?page=fairplay

(Interestingly, in some of the early parts of your posting, you used correct