 Robotics / 18438
Re: LEGO parts -- genuine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:46:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, liz@bookwyrmz.com writes:
However, I have run across two different parts (of sufficient number
that I am concerned) that I cannot tell what they are.  One is an
elongated slope.  It appears to be a black 75 2x1x3 slope (3 being the
height), but the stud is open (hollow) and there is no LEGO mark.  It
is textured exactly like the smaller LEGO slopes.  There is a tiny
number stamped inside the slope, but I can’t read it (it might be 1-61
or something like that).  Is this a LEGO?

LEGO has a slope like that:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4460
To test if it is LEGO, may I suggest you try inserting an antenna or some
sort of *minifig tool* in the open stud? If it is LEGO, the tool should fit
the hole.
For reference, this part was used in many sets, one that I can recall is
6080 which has one in light gray.

The other is a black column 1x1x5 (5 being the height) that has a
square opening at the bottom and an open (hollow) stud at the top (some
have a tiny “bar” across the bottom of the opening).    Is this a LEGO?

LEGO also has a part like this:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=1x1x5
There are possible variations of the stud shape (bar or no bar), due to
different molds being used. To check if it is LEGO, the same method as above
may be applied, with the difference that no "rounded end" tools should be
used - they will not be able to pass the bar, thus not getting through the
hole deep enough to adjust. Instead, try a part which has its ends like this
one:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4095
It should pass just enough lenght to see if it fits or not.

Also, there are a few pieces here and there that appear identical in
every way to the LEGOs with the exception (such as small tiles) where
the numbers printed on them are different and there is no LEGO mark
(one does say patent pending), some are plain, some have a label with a
design (not painted on the brick).  I’m assuming these are not LEGOs,
despite the similarities.  Are there older LEGOs that did not have the
LEGO mark?

I honestly don't know.
One thing I would suggest is that you check the colours with bricks you are
sure to be LEGO. There can be colour variations (yellowing), but parts will
not get "brighter" than standard or radically change colour over time - this
will probably mean they are clones.

Okay, that’s the end of the amateur hour.

I'm not a pro either :-)

Thanks for any and all education in identifying LEGO parts,

My pleasure! But please note these are only empirical tips - they may be
innacurate, I just think they can be used for a *quick* reference.
For better insight on the subject, I'm crossposting to .cb

Pedro