 Robotics / 18369
Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:51:17 GMT

In article <3.0.6.32.20020712182630.007a19e0@pop6.sympatico.ca>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Laura O'Grady) wrote:

Does anyone have any comments about using rechargeable batteries in the
RCX?  Has anyone had any bad experiences with this?  Can anyone recommend
whether NiMH is better or worse than NiCd?  Thanks.

Laura

NiCd batteries are cheap, but that's about the only advantage to them.
I'd suggest either NiMH or rechargeable alkaline depending on your usage
habits.

I actually use both types of batteries, but I probably won't bother
replacing the rechargeable alkalines once they stop holding a recharge.
The NiMH are a little more expensive, but work better for my usage.

If you use your RCX frequently and generally use the motors under high
load (moving a vehicle over carpet, etc), then NiMH will probably work
best for you.  Compared to rechargeable alkalines, the lower internal
resistance and higher capacity of NiMH more than makes up for the
initial cell voltage being lower.  This is why NiMH are generally the
best choice for high-current applications.

If you use your RCX only occasionally, or it spends a lot of time turned
on without any motors running, then rechargeable alkalines might work
better.  The biggest advangage is that they don't loose their charge
when not used.  You can keep them sitting on a shelf for a year and they
will be fine.  NiMH, on the other hand, loses its charge faster, so if
you put your RCX away for a month or two you might find your batteries
discharged and you'll need to recharge and re-install the firmware.

Dave