 Robotics / 18361
Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX -- Firmware error
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:35:50 GMT

One or more of the battery contacts could have lost its springiness. Try
bending all the contacts in towards the other side of the compartment
(not too far!). Also, the contacts that supply the power from the
batteries to the circuit board may be loose. Look at
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/#Hardware for instructions on
how to disassemble your RCX (standard disclaimer applies).

To answer the original question:
I used NiCds for a while, and had no problems. They should work exactly
the same as NiMHs, except they won't last as long. I now use
rechargeable alkalines, and they work great.

Trevyn.

lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:

Our class uses NiMH batteries.  Haven't seen any problem... but we do have
one problem off and on and I guess that could be related.

On one RCX, we do get an error that the firmware needs to be downloaded
quite often, and the battery level on the RCX is about 2/3 to 1/2 on the
meter (we use the RCX software).  So I don't think it's a lack of juice...
Of course, it could be something the kids are doing.  Anyone else get this
message excessively?  We have to reload the firmware 2-3 times  a class
period.  Of course, the kids answer to every problem is to blame the
hardware and/or switch batteries (but when we get this error, the RCX
batteries have NOT been removed, which I know causes this to happen).

But I do think we only get this error only on one RCX.  3 of our RCXs are
1.5s, 4 are 2.0s, and 1 is a 1.0.  Actually are just starting to use the
1.0, so we'll see how that goes.  We are using the software version 2.0 with
serial towers.  I haven't noticed which version RCX is getting the error; I
need to make a note next time it happens.

Liz Bilbro

Teacher/Coach
CyberStorm Robotics Class and FLL Team
Sports for the Mind for Lubbock Homeschoolers
http://www.cyberstorm.us/